- Alice - She is a spunky girl who enjoys adventures and is on a journey of self-discovery. She should be charming to the audience and be able to command the stage by herself.
- Tall Alice - Alice, Small Alice and Tall Alice are differently sized versions of the same character.
- Small Alice - Alice, Small Alice and Tall Alice are differently sized versions of the same character.
- Cheshire Cat - Played by three separate actors who play the head, the body, and the tail of the cat. The Cheshire Cat serves as the Narrator for the story and the actors who are cast need to be able to speak clearly and be good storytellers. Strong singing skills are not a must, but comic timing is, as these three comprise a very funny character.
- White Rabbit - An energetic, worrisome character that hardly ever stops moving. Even though the White Rabbit has a solo - the singing should come secondary to finding the person who can continuously exude a lot of energy and rapid-fire change of focus.
- Mathilda - Alice's older sister and a non-singing role. She should be a strong actor who can speak loudly and clearly.
- Tweedle Dee - A pair of goofballs similar to old comedy teams like Abbott & Costello or Laurel & Hardy. They should be good singers and actors who work well as a team. If possible, cast actors who look either exactly alike or completely different for added comic effect.
- Tweedle Dum - A pair of goofballs similar to old comedy teams like Abbott & Costello or Laurel & Hardy. They should be good singers and actors who work well as a team. If possible, cast actors who look either exactly alike or completely different for added comic effect.
- Queen of Hearts - The big mean bully of the story. You need a great actor for this role who has a full resonant voice and is able to follow music well. The Queen of Hearts must have a commanding presence and should be a little scary, but funny at the same time.
- King of Hearts - The often forgotten ruler of Wonderland. You need to have a good actor for this role who can handle some very high-level vocabulary.
- Caterpillar - Part sensei, part diva, the Caterpillar is comprised of five actors who play the head, body and all those hands, which move in synchronized gestures to help emphasize a point. The Caterpillar is one cool character who needs to be able to sing, dance, and act well. He provides the heart for the story and really convinces Alice to be herself.
- Mad Hatter - The Mad Hatter is the life of the tea party and should be performed by someone who enjoys acting larger than life. The actor needs to be comfortable being silly and has to sing one song, although it is an easy song to "speak-sing" if necessary.
- March Hare - The March Hare is the counterpart to the Mad Hatter and also enjoys a good party. A little less crazy than the Mad Hatter, the March Hare is a happy fun character who enjoys playing. The March Hare has solo parts in one song, but a good actor can "speak-sing" them easily.
- The Flowers - (Rose, Petunia, Lily, Violet, Daisy) are the snooty, mean girls who think they are the most important people in the whole world. They need to be good performers and singers who can handle harmonies. There are only five named flowers in the show but it is possible to add as many more as you like.
- Dodo Bird - Captain of the Queen's Navy and needs to be a good actor and singer. He is in command of the rock lobsters and other animals and is another of Wonderland's vibrant characters.
- Doorknob - A wonderful additional role for an actor who is very funny.
- Ensemble - The Chorus (Kids Playing in the Park, Rock Lobsters, Talking Fish, Royal Cardsmen, Unbirthday Partiers, etc.) should be comprised of good actors and singers who are featured in all of the production numbers. There are many opportunities for featured moments for many of your ensemble members.
To help you better prepare for auditions, here is a list of characters from Alice in Wonderland JR. Choose your top 3 favorite roles and practice singing along to your rehearsal CD at home! Auditions are on January 23 after school until 4:30 PM.